Sunday, November 23, 2008

Fitting In / Standing Out


So I went to the Australian Pink Floyd Show last night...
I know. It's not like me.

But hey...why not try something new, right? And I actually gained a real appreciation for how prolific that band is (was?), and the artistic nature of the music they wrote. And, I got to spend a fun evening with David and some friends in the meantime.

But, I started to realize as soon as I entered Dodge Theatre that I simply did not belong among that band's demographic. I, Kim Tait, stood out like a wide-eyed, blonde little sore thumb.

Maybe I would have felt more at home if any of the following statements were true:

1. I own (and wear regularly) tie-dyed clothing.
2. I have long, curly/frizzy salt and pepper gray hair.
3. I am in my mid to late 40's.
4. I am male.
5. I enjoy the occasional doobie...
6. I can passionately sing every word to every song from "The Dark Side of the Moon" to "The Wall" (I learned both of those album names last night thankyouverymuch)
7. I am not a young mid-twenties little blonde girl wearing my bangles and ballet flats who couldn't name one Pink Floyd song if her life depended on it.

It was pretty entertaining at one point to just take a look around during the concert at all of those mid-40's, graying men, wearing their tie-dyed shirts from college and reliving the glory days. Closing their eyes. Swaying to the music. Rockin' out when the music got intense.

And then there was me.

Well, the next time I see some scrubby older man wearing a tie-dyed shirt, looking bewlidered at a Sarah McLachlan concert...I just might have to give him a reassuring pat on the shoulder, as if to say, "I've been there, my friend. I've been there."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a trooper. When the offer came our way...I was not as brave. But I am standing right next to you at the next Sarah concert! We live so close now, can't wait to hang out, I'll let you know when I am unpacked and we will have to take the kids to the park or something.

the Painters said...

Hahhaaha. You took one for the team and I know David thanks you for that. Very fun post. I enjoyed reading it. You are so funny. Look forward to seeing you the 6th!...and watch out for my gift...